If you’re a Christian, then by default you are part of the body of Christ – the church. There is nothing like the church on planet earth. The gathering of God’s people, on mission to make much of Jesus and bring many into fellowship.
When was the last time you thought about your role in that great mission? If you’re part of the body, then you DO have a role to play, a function to fulfill, a team to serve on.
In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul reminds the Corinthian church that they have all been given gifts; gifts FROM God, to build up the church. In discovering your God-given gift, have a think about the following:
- Don’t get sidetracked trying to find your gift – get stuck in with what’s already in front of you. Often we find our God given gifts by serving in area's we initially thought we were either under-qualified in - or dare I say too qualified in!
- Work your gift out in community – the gifts were never meant to be discovered or operated in isolation – they are for the benefit of everyone! Also, in community, with trusted friends, you will find out if others agree with what you believe your gift is!
- Embrace the seasons of what seem like obscurity to learn that it’s not all about you – if you’re waiting for the world to recognize you and offer you up the stage, you’ll be waiting a long time. Use quiet seasons to serve hard, faithfully and lovingly. It’s amazing what God can do with someone who turns up on time, every time with a right heart and right attitude.
- Just fall in love with Jesus. The gifts all flow from Him. As you discover Him on new ways and centre your life around Him, you’ll find what He has called you to and where that is. In fact, as you love Jesus passionately, it’ll be really hard to miss what God has called you to.
Go for it – there's a place for you, a space for you; we are the body!
- How do you feel about God giving you a specific gift?
- Do you believe you know what that gift is?
- What practical steps will you take this week to discover that gift(s) and begin to test it out?