Temptation is a very real issue and one that isn't going away any time soon. God is good and forgives us our sins, His grace covers all our failures. But His grace also enables us to stand and fight temptation. We can fight with our hearts, our spirits and - our brains!
So, in our fight against temptation, or rather in our fight to not give-in to temptation, we can remember the following:
- Jesus understands. He was tempted in every way just like us; but didn't sin (Hebrews 4:15). Let temptation and the desire to do it take you towards Jesus, not away. He gets it.
- Jesus has given us a brain. Use it. The tempting situations we find ourselves in are often self-inflicted; as someone once said, if you don't want to get burned, don't play with fire! Avoid the buffet if you can't eat one slice of pizza!
- Get a Jesus vision for your future. For those who withstand the temptation, there a promise of a crown of life (James 1:12). We'll only withstand temptation when we have a vision of a better future.
Keep going. There's grace for when temptation beats us; but there's also grace to beat it!
Questions for application:
- Where am I winning the war against temptation in my life?
- Where am I losing it?
- What's ONE thing I can do this week to fight temptation?